To give us a sense of perspective on how long the thirty three Chilean miners - who are being brought to the surface today - have been imprisoned 700 metres underground, consider what was happening in the world on August 5th - the last day that they arrived for work at the San Jose Mine:
- BP had finished pumping cement into its damaged oil well in the Gulf of Mexico
- Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi survived a no confidence vote in Parliament
- The UN sent its special envoy to Pakistan to asses the damage caused by the country's worst flooding in living memory
- 600 wildfires were continuing to burn in Russia following a record summer heatwave
- Liverpool beat Macedonian side Rabotnicki in the qualifying campaign for the Europe League
- The US Senate confirms Elena Kagan's nomination to the Supreme Court - the third woman to serve on America's highest court
- England's cricket team were about to start their second test against Pakistan at Edgbaston
Live updates of the Chilean mine rescue can be followed on the BBC news site here.
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.